Stewarttown was first settled in 1819. The community was originally known as the Village of Esquesing. Esquesing is a First Nations word meaning “That which lies at the end”, a reference to Bronte Creek that flowed through the village from the Escarpment. In 1849 the name of the village was changed to Stewarttown. This name was chosen in honour of brothers Duncan and John Stewart who established saw and grist mills on the banks of the Credit River. Stewarttown was a prosperous community through the mid to late 1800s and early 1900s. In addition to a complex of mills there was also a successful tannery, a harness maker, a blacksmith shop and a hop farm that employed many people in the village. The village also had a two-storey brick schoolhouse, two churches and a Town Hall. Farming has always been and continues to be a way of life for some residents. However, the land to the east of Trafalgar Road is now largely residential. To get a sense of what life was like during the Victorian era in Stewarttown visit Devereaux House located at 11494 Trafalgar Road. This circa 1860, classic Ontario Farmhouse is situated on its original site on the west side of Trafalgar Road. It had been owned continuously by the Devereaux family from 1829 to the 1970’s.
Stewarttown has alot going for it including beautiful homes, nice parks, a middle School, and a pretty country setting in the Credit River Valley. The newer section of Stewarttown, east of Trafalgar Road and north of 15th Sideroad, is where you will find most of the homes. Stewarttown is surrounded by farmland and nature. Black Creek which flows just to the south, contains wild trout and salmon. The railway passes through on the west and north edges of the neighbourhood.
Stewarttown residents enjoy a variety of shopping options. They can either drive 5 minutes east to downtown Georgetown’s specialty boutiques and restaurants or drive north approximately 10 minutes north to Acton which has an old fashioned Main Street with an eclectic variety of shops and restaurants. The Acton Marketplace is an open air shopping centre anchored by a Sobeys grocery store, Rexall, McDonalds and No Frills. Toronto Premium Outlets located at Trafalgar Road and Steeles Avenue just north of Highway 401 features more than 130 stores, with many big name brands.
Stewarttown has a small community of heritage homes and ranch style bungalows west of Trafalgar Road off 15th Sideroad. But the bulk of the houses in Stewarttown can be found in the Stewart’s Mill subdivision located east of Trafalgar Road and north of 15th Sideroad. The homes in this upscale enclave are all detached brick with traditional architectural styles, landscaped gardens and built-in garages.
McNally Street Park located in the Stewart’s Mill subdivision is a large neighbourhood park with soccer fields, a children’s playgrounds, a paved walking path and a picnic pavilion. The Trafalgar Sports Park located west off Trafalgar Road is a large sports park with a baseball diamond and multiple soccer fields.
Listing ID descendingListing ID ascendingBuilt up Area descendingBuilt up Area ascendingPrice descendingPrice ascendingPictures descendingPictures ascendingAdd date descendingAdd date ascendingFeatured descendingFeatured ascending