Join Wildlands League on a journey to the ancient peatlands of the Hudson Bay Lowlands. These incredible wetlands have been cooling the planet for thousands of years and hold more carbon than the Amazon Rainforest.
They may be humanity’s greatest ally in the fight against climate change but only if we can keep them undisturbed.
New mines and industry roads are being proposed and these ‘Ring of Fire’ mining plans would irrevocably damage the region’s sensitive wetlands.
You will hear from leading scientists, Indigenous leaders and conservationists and enjoy a first look at an incredible episode and drone footage by The Water Brothers. Speakers include:
- Sarah Finkelstein, Professor, University of Toronto
- Constance (Connie) O’Connor, Wildlife Conservation Society of Canada, Director of Ontario Northern Boreal Program
- Carrie Gray, Boreal Conservation Specialist, National Audubon Society
- Lawrence Martin, Lands and Resources Director, Mushkegowuk Council
- Vern Cheechoo, Executive Director, Mushkegowuk Council
- Alex Mifflin, Host and Lead Researcher, The Water Brothers
- Tyler Mifflin, Director and Videographer, The Water Brothers
We also happily welcome back the deep dulcet tones of retired radio show host Peter Garland. He’ll be our voice throughout the evening.
Purchase your ticket now for this amazing opportunity to learn about Canada’s secret weapon against climate change and what you can do to help keep it intact. And bring your best goose call!
This event was made possible with the support of the George Cedric Metcalf Charitable Foundation.